Gowanda High School strives to support students in college and career readiness by offering a firm academic foundation upon which to build further pursuits. We offer multiple programs and electives to appeal to student interest and aptitude.
- Student Visits:
- If students plan to visit a college, they must get a permission slip from the Guidance Office, obtain a parent signature and then receive approval from the HS Principal, prior to their attending the college visit. A college official must fax the form back to the main office or it will not be counted as an excused absence.
- Virtual Visits
- Although actually walking around a campus is the best way to experience what life is like in each campus environment, it is not always possible. To help students who cannot travel to the campus, many colleges and universities offer “virtual tours”. From links on the colleges’ Websites, or from sites like www.ecampustours.com, students can virtually see and “tour” the campus.
- GCS Hosted Visits:
- Through out the year GHS hosts many college admissions visitors. We also organize field trips to local colleges and universities. Please check our Counseling Center Calendar for dates and times.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND FINANCIAL AID
Scholarship for Academic Excellence
This scholarship is awarded by New York State, pending NYS budget appropriations. There will be one award of $1,500 and two awards of $500 each granted to GHS seniors. Winners of this scholarship may concurrently receive any other New York State academic or general award for which they may be eligible. However, winners cannot be awarded a Scholarship for Academic Excellence in any amount when the combination of all awards would exceed their cost of attendance. Scholarship winners must attend a college or university in New York State. Those who do not attend a college or university in New York State forfeit the award.
Awards are renewable for up to four academic years of undergraduate study or five academic years, if the program of study normally requires five years as defined by the Commissioner of Education. In the event that a scholarship is declined by the student or revoked by the Commissioner of Education, its benefits will lapse and no re-awards will be made.
The selection criteria for the Scholarship for Academic Excellence will be 7th semester (end of junior year) weighted class rank.
- ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) Although this test is only required for those seeking to enter a branch of the military, it is a test that most Juniors in the past have elected to take. The vocational information it provides makes it extremely useful as a career search tool. Please note: although this test is used by military recruiters to appropriately place enlistees in various programs, it is administered and scored by our Guidance Counselors. Score reports are sent directly to the test taker and the guidance office. Students can sign up in the High School Guidance Office during the weeks prior to the test. There is no fee for this test. Further information can be found at www.asvabprogram.com.
To request a High School Transcript you may choose to fill out the digital form below OR email or fax the following information to Department Keyboard Specialist, Mrs. Janene Draegert.
- First, Middle & Last Name (maiden name if applicable)
- Date of Birth
- Year of Graduation or the date left GHS
- Your Phone Number
- Address where the transcript or being mailed or faxed
College & Military Representative Visits
We are welcoming college & military representatives for in-person visits.
- Please make an appointment at least 2 weeks prior to your visit by contacting Mrs. Draegert in the Counseling Center. firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may visit once per semester. (twice a year)
- Bring a valid government-issued ID to be scanned at entry and must wear their badge at all times.
- Check-in with the High School Counseling Center, prior to going to the high school cafeteria where a table & chair will be set up outside the cafeteria to meet with students.
- Check out in the High School Main Office before leaving the building.
- Scheduled visit times will be during lunch periods; between 9:55 a.m. and 12:37 p.m.
Volunteer Hours & Opportunities