Students will be scheduled to be picked up and dropped off at home or the assigned stop every day. Alternate Transportation can be requested in some circumstances using the form below.
Alternate Transportation Form
- Complete only if pick up and/or drop off is to a location OTHER THAN HOME on a REGULAR BASIS. Daily busing changes are not be allowed.
- Complete and submit a separate form for each child for whom you are requesting alternate transportation each year.
- The previous school year’s alternate transportation requests will not be carried over.
- Submit all transportation requests in writing at least one week before school starts. Requests received after this date will not be honored the first week of school.
- Transportation will be provided to/from a total of TWO (2) addresses.
- Only ONE (1) transportation change will be allowed after the start of school for the entire school year.
- If an emergency arises, it is up to you to make outside arrangements for someone to be at your child’s regular stop or they must be picked up at Parent Pick-Up.
- Multiple changes cause confusion for the child (this is particularly true for K-4 Elementary School Students), the bus driver and office staff. The irregular schedule with day to day changes greatly increases the chances that a student may board the wrong bus and possibly be dropped off at a wrong stop. This will be strictly enforced.
- Public School Students: the main office of the school your child attends
- Private School Students: GCS Transportation department email: email@example.com
BUS PICK UP
If there is no student VISIBLY present outside at their designated bus stop location, the bus is not required to stop regardless of weather conditions. Please have your child at their designated stop 5 minutes prior to their scheduled pick up time.
BUS DROP OFF
Students in Grades K, 1 & 2 will NOT be dropped off at a stop without a parent or guardian present to greet them. If no one is present, or if an older child (Grades 3 & 4) expresses concern about being dropped off at an empty house, the student(s) will be returned to the safety of the elementary school at the end of the bus run. The parent/guardian will be notified and be responsible for arranging the student’s pick up from the school.
If an emergency arises, it is up to you to make outside arrangements for someone to be at your child’s regular stop or elementary students may be picked up at Parent Pick-Up.
Parents may pick up students from the school.
- Elementary School
- Students needing to be picked up from school will need permission in writing indicating the date(s) and the name of the person(s) who will be picking up the child.All Parent Pick-Up requests must be received by the GES Main Office prior to 2:00 pm. You may deliver in person, via email, or by fax. No additions after 2:00 pm.Students should be picked up from 3:12 to 3:20 pm at the pick up entrance. Parents arriving later than 3:20 pm should report to the office to retrieve their child.
- Middle School
- Students are released at 2:07 pm. Messages for students regarding unplanned pickups can be called into the Middle School Office
Walking to school is a fun, easy way to add exercise to the day, but it’s important to stay safe on your way there. Safety tips to follow on a walk to school include:
Plan a safe route with your parents.
Don’t take shortcuts.
Students should walk with a friend.
Don’t push, shove, or chase especially near a street or the bus garage.
Wear bright-colored clothes or a jacket.
Watch for cars at every driveway and intersection.
Do not text while walking.
Do not accept rides unless arranged by a parent or guardian.
Why is my child’s bus late??
We do everything possible to have all buses run on schedule every day. However, the weather, traffic, and other unforeseen events may cause a delay. If your bus does not arrive at the scheduled time, please allow 5 to 15 minutes before calling the transportation office or the school.
Why does my child have an assigned seat?
The driver has the authority to assign seats as they deem necessary. Seat assignments are a positive way for the ride to be consistent and safe. This also aids the driver with discipline.
Why can’t my child randomly get off the bus where ever they need to?
Students will be scheduled to be picked up and dropped off at home or the assigned stop every day unless a Request for Alternate Transportation has been completed and returned to the main office of the school your child attends. Daily changes will NOT be allowed.
Multiple changes cause confusion for the child (this is particularly true for K-4 Elementary School Students), the bus driver and office staff. The irregular schedule with day to day changes greatly increases the chances that a student may board the wrong bus and possibly be dropped off at a wrong stop.
The bus driver requires a bus pass generated by the main office of the school your child attends to alter the destination of the student. The parent or the guardian should speak directly to the main office of the school your child attends.
Can I become a school bus driver?
We are always looking for drivers. A Class B license with PS Endorsements is required to apply for a bus driver position. If you do not have the required license, call for information on how you can obtain one. Applications are available on our website or stop into our transportation office at 9 Panther Drive, Gowanda NY, 14070